Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sad happy endings? / Review for The Last Sacrifice (unexpected spoilers)

SPOILERS!!!!!



Alright so I just finished reading The Last Sacrifice-a.k.a the last book in the Vampire Academy series- and I am almost crying. At first I was worried that the ending would be a let down/not what I wanted but I was both pleased and displeased with the ending. I guess I should say that there are spoilers. Considering that I am in the mood to rant.

I thought it was cool that she sort of tricked us into believing that things weren't going to be okay but then she flipped it around and gave us a pretty decent resolution. I enjoyed that Lissa became queen but was a bit upset at her character and her personality/ actions throughout the novel, also I was glad to see such a huge change in Adrian but was MAJORLY disappointed with the lack of resolution for him- I felt that he had earned a happy ending but in the end was left screwed over and if anything in a worse place than he started in in Frostbite, next is Sydney, I have grown to love that little human but I felt that they put too much emphasize on her instead of focusing on some of the other characters-for instance I would have loved to learn more about Sonya and Mikhail- and basically I thought it to be a let down that she over everything else received a unsettled ending. I feel like with Sydney I both wanted her to fall in love with a Moroi but at the same time I would have just been happy if she got to continue living her own life-unlike how she became an outcast among her people. And then there is my precious Dimka, oh do I love him!!!!! He has gone through so much and I was so happy for him to see he got everything that I felt he deserved-although I would have liked that both he ANNNNND Adrian could get what they wanted , but alas, they could not- although I wish that I would have gotten to see a bit more passion between him a Rose as they struggled to ignore their love. Finally I want to say that ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING WITH ROSE ANGERED ME!!!!! First off, was it really necessary to add a 'third' love interest (that keeper guy) or were you just running out of ideas? Second, why was Rose never really fighting and seeming to be always injured? Also, I feel like the book could have easily been split into a duel point of view between her and Lissa based on the number of times that the story was being told through Rose's mind looking through Lissa's eyes. Third, I love her and Dimitri don't get me wrong but I feel seriously disappointed at how her and Adrian's relationship ended, I felt like they shouldn't have ended in a fight and that that last line "I don't think I will I ever see him again." Next I would like to say that I was APPALLED by the fact that Rose never really thought about Mia until she was being held at FRICKING GUNPOINT-UM HELLO?!?!?!?! In addition, I feel like the whole mood of The Last Sacrifice was not in relation to the personality of its protagonist. Moreover here other things that angered me; Dimitri ignoring Rose, Lissa's attitude towards court life, Tasha Ozera being the murderer(totally thought it wad Daniella), the bond being broken, Rose almost dying as the ending, the whole entire pointless section with the keepers, the unresolved aftermath of Rose killing Vyctor and leaving Robert in the woods, Jill being Lissa's younger sister, Adrian turning into an ass in the last two chapters, Rose cheating on Adrian, Dimitri acting like a complete immature adult when it came to his feelings for Rose, the lack of passion in the romances, WHERE THE FUCK WAS EDDIE FOR IDK THE WHOLE BOOK?, wanted to see more of a relationship between Abe and momma Hathaway, I wish that there was more action, why was there so much useless strigoi?, what was the other thing that Abe did for Sydney, why did Rose and Dimitri not go back to Russia-you know you were thinking it-, and last, although there is probably more, why was the tone after Rose woke up from ALMOST DYING, so nonchalant.

Anyway.... the moral of this post is that though some endings may be happy they might also be a bit sad or disappointing, also that all endings are sad and that no matter how many series I read I always cry on the last book.


Oh yeah.... and just a little random quote, my favorite saying is "Don't cry because it is over, cry because it happened." but I think we can all agree that when it comes to books..... some of the things that 'happen' aren't exactly things you wish happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment